jolie laide: Today's Commute

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

2.08.2006

Today's Commute

The little squirrely white guy runs up to the big scruffy black guy with a cane and a beat up plastic bag from the borough library. It is a chance meeting, and they hug, exclaim, clap each other on the shoulder. They are so happy, showing huge smiles of gleaming teeth, eyes sparking in the dim light of the platform. Then the train pulls away, with one of them waving joyfully from the window and I wonder where their spheres intersect.

In my car is a young man so painfully beautiful and so unaware I can watch him without feeling awkward. Examine each part of his face, each part is so different that they seem to have been donated as spares from other families. But here they all come together so delicate, no, mysterious, no, understated powerful. I wonder if he hates his complex face, or if he has found someone to run their fingers over it's contours and show him how lovely.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dr. S said...

Oo! I'm psyched that you're blogging here now. (I am BookLover in the other blogging world, which I'm also uprooting myself from, now that everyone I read is posting out here--and with pictures!)

1:47 AM  
Blogger ttractor said...

oh! thank you and welcome! gosh, how did you find me?

11:08 AM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

Through Mayhem's website, which I found through Stepanova's. It's a little scavenger hunt out here now.

11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found you too, ttractor! God, I was wracking my brain trying to think of who you were.

Mystery solved!

12:57 AM  
Blogger ttractor said...

d'oh! sorry, I thought the bloody elbow and the Mayhem link were clear enough!

Hi Step! who else is out here in the clear air?

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home