jolie laide: Today's Commute

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

2.23.2006

Today's Commute

I swipe my Metrocard and push through the clatter-rattle turnstile. The rumble of a train just leaving the station, but I can hear something else. An acoustic guitar and a lovely tenor are looping through the low arches, something quietly beautiful, not competing with the harsh surfaces, the cold air, but wrapping them, complimentary. I follow his music down the platform and he is playing a lullaby for the morning rush, a paean, a balm to the briefcase warriors and desk jockeys heading into Manhattan. The train pulls in and I slip a stream of coins into his open case. He smiles at me and says “Don’t let them get you.”

4 Comments:

Blogger Dr. S said...

That's a lovely moment.

1:39 AM  
Blogger dragonfly said...

very lovely--poetical musings--

2:54 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

dragonfly, according to stepanova we are no longer allowed to ramble or muse. we may cogitate, expound, and poke hearty fun. I think we may still be lovely, with prior written permission. pass it on.

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear, I've become the blog fascist. I hereby reinstate "musing" and "rambling". I strive to write posts that are exemplars of self-contained logic, but I fear there's much rambling to come in the next while.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home