jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

6.27.2006


The past few days have left me with an accretion of phrases I am not sure how to digest.

The phrase in the picture I came across on a walk in Brooklyn. I keep waiting for the fade to black, the Ad Council logo, the public service announcement: this message brought to you by....who?

On the train a girl is wearing one of those charity bracelets, a takoff of "Live Strong." This one says "Think Autism" and I want to laugh like crazy at just how, well, wrong, that seems.

Another girl on the train is in full hood style bling of cheap flimsy chains, big earrings. A huge nameplate necklace and I am squinting at its florid script. "Panty Raiders" I just don't get it.

The boy on the train in front of me in hip hop regalia. He is wearing a long shirt and to emphasize the hem falling below his rump, there is elaborate gothic script along the bottom. The font is so embellished I can't make it out. I think I can read it, but it can't possibly say what I think it does, but I hope it does, because that would be awesome: Eat Vegetables.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dr. S said...

This post is fantastic. I love the cheeriness of that sign on the lamppost. It's so lovely! and welcoming! Almost a friendly invitation, from the lamppost! So funny.

5:03 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

and it's in such girly handwriting too!

I thought perhaps it was too rude to post, and then, gee I have been so broody and self-involved for the past, oh, gosh, well, too long. I forget I have a sense of humor, and that it is often quite blue.

and don't forget to eat your favorite vegetables! whoever they may be...

5:22 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

I didn't just say that. I did. Oh dear. I am getting all jazzed up for a good run, that is my only excuse.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the urgency of these messages

and the elemental power of words to move & perplex the mind

8:11 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

"Think Autism" has really got me in its grip. Is that not just so mind boggling? I just can't get around it!

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home