jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

8.08.2006

Commuting 8/9/06

There is a woman with a chain of dogwood blossoms around her neck, golden against her dark skin.

The girl sits down next to her boyfriend, looks up into his face and smiles. I can see where her crow's feet will emerge soon, and he kisses her forehead and they settle into their books and their commute.

The man next to me changes the angle of his face and I suspect he is reading my magazine. I am leafing through the New Yorker, looking for the fiction section. When I pause at a spread with cartoons on each page, he laughs, and I ask him which one he likes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

dogwood blossoms - lovers - the New Yorker

I like your eye for the subtle interactions & permutations of the City

awake & dreaming you are

4:23 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

R-M, awake and dreaming, I like that quite a bit. I wish I could turn my dreaming into a kiss, which I seem not to be able to do these days.

Hi A! I have missed you!

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home