jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

11.19.2006


Thanks to the drunken Yankees fans spilling out of the subway for hipping me to this. I thought this might go away as summer faded, but everyday at the subway station near my office, I can't help but see this.

Sometimes words and phrases just get stuck in my head, and like someone with Tourette's, I have to bark them out to dispel them. I heard a news broadcast about our president's visit to Asia, and his meeting with the Chinese president, Hu. Of course now I am hearing the Abbott and Costello routine. President Hu? Who's president? Yes, Hu! What? No, Wat is in Cambodia. Hu is Chinese...

"Frozen Cuban assets"

My friend writes something tender and gently self-mocking about vulnerability and making omelets. And now I am stuck on "As I Lay Frying."

8 Comments:

Blogger Dr. S said...

My mother is a dish!

12:10 PM  
Blogger slickaphonic said...

heh heh.

(too bad you can't hear my huge guffaw here...)

12:16 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

slick, I am so glad that made you laugh! I was feeling sort of guilty, in that "I really shouldn't laugh but I have to, no I am NOT laughing at you, oh how do I explain this" sort of way.

Dr S, I have to admit it, right here, so go ahead and throw stones. Faulkner bugs me. I don't know whether its my fellow southerner reaction of "dude, don't tell everyone!" or its "pffft. tell me something I don't know, in a way I haven't seen it!" or just so many New Yorkers I run into think that's the south (and it is and it isn't but you can't know that if you go with that in your head...). Or maybe I am just envious that he has found a way to talk about the wierd ways of time down south. The thick sludge of the present, spiked with shards of the past and the complete opacity of any future.

Our local public radio station is re-airing a This American Life segment this weekend on religion, heresy at whatnot, with its foci being Oral Roberts University (visible from my childhood bedroom window) and the Higher Dimensions Church (built four houses down from my family's house). Check it out, and enjoy some downhome twistedness!

1:04 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

oh Dr S, that did make me laugh! (and perhaps I am not inserting enough of my sense of humor over here. jeez, I am always so serious.)

1:06 PM  
Blogger slickaphonic said...

Ah, multiple guffaws--the street sign and (what is now) the title of my omelet post (which I wrote like a drunken Yankee on Saturday at 1:30 am...)

2:56 PM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

Well, I hoped you'd like it.

I am a northerner, through and through--can barely imagine the weirdnesses of the south, though my southern friends have told me about them again and again. I mean, we get close to the south in southern Indiana; I'm not a northeasterner. But we don't touch the exotic stuff.

But I did hope you'd like my joke; I so liked your sign!

3:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

sodomy - it's for you and me!

"As I Lay Dying" is one of my favorites, Faulkner at his splintered brutal best

perhaps the only Faulkner I like better is "Light In August", delving into the catacombs of southern Christianity

3:04 AM  
Blogger ttractor said...

A fur piece!

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home