jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

1.11.2007

I did not tell a story at Tuesday night's Moth event. The theme was "clean slate." If I had, the opening line would have been:

I have been pulled over while driving a stolen car without a license; I have counterfeited money; I have held packets of meth for my biker-leathered boss; I have made bombs; I have stood stark naked next to a cop while he examined my fake driver's license, but I have only been arrested once.

3 Comments:

Blogger slickaphonic said...

i just fell a little bit deeper in love.

awwww.

3:24 AM  
Blogger ttractor said...

and you don't even know what I was arrested for! or did I tell you already? It's a long fun story about protesting the sale of community gardens, the protest participants including little old ladies, hippies, and people with giant caterpillar puppets, people dressed like pea pods, butterflies, earthworms. Flowers were thrown, and glitter, and it was charming and ludicrous. Especially when they tried to process all of us, and there were too many, so they let us roam around the precinct house like free range chickens, but handcuffed. It was a surreal cocktail party, with everyone's hands behind their back, and all the talk of how the tomatoes were doing that year.

And in the end, we were sentenced to time served, and our records were expunged. Clean slate.

12:24 PM  
Blogger EastWesterner said...

I am SHOCKED!

I did not know angels did such shocking things!

Excuse me, I have to go lie down now...

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home