jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

8.02.2007

I don’t need any one thing but one friend likes to remind me through small gifts, a little toy car, a keychain with an Eiffel Tower on it, that she thinks I need to travel. It’s a somersault she needed to tumble out of her parents’ upper-class shadow boxed existence and into a real life. I am not so sure I need the mental gymnastics but the tiny traveling circus is going to Europe and I am invited along. I have faint dreams of being an aerialist, but I’ll probably be watering the elephants and I don’t mind taking care of the earth while watching the stars.

I’ll be back in a week. I’ll try not to miss this.

4 Comments:

Blogger slickaphonic said...

have a wonderful time!

2:27 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

thank you! I'm trying to get used to this vacation thing. And the leaving New York thing. That is itself is so strange, I hardly need any other stimulation.

And you keep being your wonderful almost PhD'ed self, y'hear?

3:16 PM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

have an excellent time and take us some pictures, if you get a chance, eh?

9:16 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

story-pictures belong to you, I can't even try to get close to that. but I am sitting on an egg that I will gladly share when it hatches.

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home