jolie laide: Girl Watching on the C Train

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

3.06.2006

Girl Watching on the C Train

It’s a rough week, and I’m having a hard time finding my sustenance, my daily scrap of beauty. And then she steps into the train. Oh, so beautiful. Not common, not obvious, something much more subtle, a sum greater than the parts.

She was probably teased in school, the face awkward on someone younger. She probably ducks cameras, having seen too many careless shots where her interesting angles are splayed ugly. She may still sting from her family’s attempts to dampen her style, keep her still and quiet, not the gorgeous and smart that emanates from her now.

In the ugly grubble hustle that is this morning’s commute, she is a glorious spot to rest my eyes. I am awed and grateful.

5 Comments:

Blogger ttractor said...

Free my underwear and my ass will follow? Today, as most days, all my underwear is in my dresser. So it is imprisoned, but my ass is definitely liberated!

I rat-raced New York for most of my adult time here. I have finally come to a place where I can breathe, pick my head up and look, at least sometimes. And people like you have given me such encouragement to continue, I can only be so grateful.

Thank you. (and who are you?)

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry, it was just me. i forgot that my user name at blogger was not the same as at the onion/nerve.

4:35 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

ah, raindog. I was thinking about you this morning. As I was in what I can now only call "the raindogzilla position." And then something else that was a good thought too, but then I lost it because I realized that with the raindogzilla position, my personal lexicon was forever changed.

Uh, thanks?

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, a position named after me, and such a fetching one, at that.
now all that's left on the "to do before i die" list is that pesky "being burned at the stake" which for obvious reasons always comes last. any suggestions? the vatican has wussed out on the whole auto da fe thing. maybe dick cheney could help?

11:15 AM  
Blogger ttractor said...

well, what is so fetching about the rdz position is that one can commit auto da fe one small piece at a time, as you have so delightfully proved. well, I was delighted, no, perhaps gleeful, you, I imagine, were merely chagrinned.

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home