jolie laide: Urban Hunter Gatherers

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

3.02.2006

Urban Hunter Gatherers

We parted on the street corner, necessities of modern life pulling us apart, and I wandered off to find my car, urban hunt and gather for food. Jaywalking across the street I see one of the neighborhood hustlers pick up his pace, jogging, angling his path to intersect mine.

“Hi! I’m Robert! I live in the neighborhood! I haven’t seen you around! Can I be your boyfriend?”

I imagine you ambling towards home, hands jammed into your pockets against the first of winter’s bites. The smell of you is on my skin, a smile pulled on all over me like a bodystocking.

“No, thank you. I already have one.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home