jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

4.18.2006







Distracted, I am late for work again. Of course I will work through lunch. Stay late. Stay later. Take work home on the weekends. I am deeply connected with the work I do, with what it means to serve.

But I am walking down the street and my eye is caught again. A blue, a rusting lock, a shadow, and I am squinting, turning it over in my head. A grate, a tree, a forgotten slip of paper and I am cocking my head, looking.

I will be late for work again, but only by a little, and oh so much the better for it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dr. S said...

I meet myself in this writing just as though you were a mirror.

10:14 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

I thought of you...but I know you smile more!

11:21 PM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

hah! Sometimes I smile at people just so they'll wonder what's going on, or what I'm up to. But sometimes I just smile because the tree bloomed.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home