jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

4.13.2006



Twice a week I head to midtown for a quick trip to the allergist. These visits cut into my work day and a sense of urgency surrounding my own duties coupled with the general freneticism of the commercial district make me all business. I know exactly where to stand on the train to get onto the platform right by the stairs that lead to the street closest to my destination.

I am walking quickly, stepping around smaller people, running up the stairs if I can. Or shuffling along in a long line of step-to-the-right winding rows of other trapped and herded commuters. Then I am burped out, extruded into Herald Square with the tourists, the boutiques, the newspaper hawkers, idling trucks, honking horns.

In front of a nearby building is a huge planter filled with unnaturally early hyacinths. By now I am usually a little overwhelmed and they are such a welcome sight. Each time I pass I bend down and take, not a little sniff, but a long, extended vacation, my nose buried.

Today a nearby doorman calls me out. “Hey! I always see you! You smell the flowers!” He has noticed me, and how rare is that in this city? I drop my head, embarrassed and pleased.

8 Comments:

Blogger famjaztique said...

It's probably rare that anyone takes a moment to stop and smell the flowers. I've been remiss in visiting...and posting. I'll try to be better. You know I love your writing, right?

6:21 PM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

Did you see the hyacinths I posted for you yesterday? I have been thinking about you and the scent of flowers. I had forgotten, somehow, that my magnolia tree smells just as beautiful as it looks. I live on a corner, and people have been driving and walking by all week, chuckling with and at me because I'm out there all the time, camera in hand, smelling and shooting.

I too hate it when I try to back up from a comment page and get asked if I'm sure I want to leave.

12:31 AM  
Blogger ttractor said...

huh, wierd. It doesn't ask me that. How embarassing, I have clingy blog that doesn't respect boundaries! sorry...

I admit to having blog envy. There are no long discussions here of crusty mossy moistness. Thanks for tuning in despite the lack of intriguing hilarity. (for intriguing hilarity, I must recommend the auction of the demon lemon on The Sneeze)

and, oh, uh,(this is the sound of me digging my toe into the ground, aw-shucks like) I am not so used to being visible, thank you for making me so.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

It's true. This blog is wonderful. Your writing sets a standard and your pictures are truly inspired glimpses and glances.

9:40 AM  
Blogger ttractor said...

OMG, the "identical twin" review made me actually make one of those laughing pig snorts! I have not fully spelunked the mossy crusty goodness of this site yet. I admit to getting stuck on Freaky Franks, putting Barbie heads on everything...

And I owe 4IOE a better look-through first, coz his stuff will make me smarter.

Why do you bother? Because your brain has wonderful arcing branches and it is delightful to be invited to the tea party underneath.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

I think you can be both a narcissist and an arcing branch-brained creator of (snarky) tea parties. So.

2:21 PM  
Blogger slickaphonic said...

Um, I can tell you other words I hate on here, if it would make you feel better...I have an arsenal. We could start up a moist, fungal discussion of fried crusty goodness here--so good, in fact, that one might have change one's panties (yeah, that one was forced).

I, too loves your site. It's hotter than a whore in church.

8:15 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

ah, Slick, you are lying like a dog in the Texas sun! but thanks anyways you crusty old moss-eating hussy!

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home