jolie laide: O is for Orange

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

5.15.2006

O is for Orange


A certain Someone (oh, I'm sorry, Dr. Someone) will be made happy this week, as it will be brought to you by the letter O and its compatriot, the color orange. As an anodyne to my hideous sojourn in Bushwick I allowed myself to take more than my daily allotment of photos, and whether there or my usual subway-office beat, everything was coming up oranges.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dr. S said...

One reason I love orange is its name in Russian: oranzhuhvwee is the transliteration. It contains the most exotic of Cyrillic characters, the zhuh, little insect, so hard to write in cursive.

Sorry your sojourn at the hospital was so awful. Sorry the hospital is so awful, so mired, red tubed, red taped, red snaked with danger and dereliction.

2:41 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

thank god I didn't need any treatment, nor did anyone else I know. I was there for a political thing that wasn't promising to be very interesting, but when I got there I was already stunned, subsumed. blech.

don't tell me Nerd Girl, you studied Russian too? friggin impossible language!

2:52 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

oh, the red tubes below were from a garbage pile on the LES. It's so important to get the provenance of detritus shots correct! (these are all labeled on Flickr as to their rough location...I don't bother here because they don't load titles correctly and I am too apathetic about that to fix it.)

2:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

stunned am I by the rich visual texture and random beauty

amazing what abstract forms emerge from the serious limitations of your medium - which I imagine requires extremes in closeness and scope to offer any clarity (at all)

you are the pro-genitor of a new kind of visual language - 'tis quite remarkable

what is this Flickr of which you speak - and where can I find it

if you'll divulge

5:41 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

remue, aren't you sweet. it's like you said, decay, detritus, a rawness. I can't claim that it's new or that I have a unique vision--but I am glad you like it. It is humbling and touching.

9:50 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

and I ain't sayin nuthin until you tell me about something beautiful you have seen if not today, then recently.

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home