jolie laide: Good Morning, Beautiful!

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

5.08.2006

Good Morning, Beautiful!



This morning I stop at the bodega across from work for a croissant and coffee. I need neither, really, but since it has been spring, since I have been wearing red which gives me the super-power strength to pick up my head and look people in the eye and become visible, since then, the counterman says to me "good morning, Beautiful!" and I am starting to think that is something I would like to hear every day, and why wouldn't I.

Out of the store with my unecessary breakfast and a guy on a bike is taking the corner in one long, perfect, traffic-less sweep, his girlfriend tucked in front of him on the seat, into the curve of his body, the rush of air blowing her hair over his shoulder.

Next to me is a man with a ringing cellphone. The tune is "My Girl" and I guess I know who is calling. It makes me smile as I step off the curb.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home