jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

5.21.2006

We are sitting at the bar and my friend takes out her current art project and with pride and confidence puts it into my hands. And I look at the images, cooing and commenting. They are lovely, some lyrical, some frantically kinetic, some smooth and balanced and I make the gesture I do when I am enthralled or delightfully overwhelmed, I press my fingers to my collarbone, my hand to the bones over my heart.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

And before you said a word, that was when I said "Thank you"; your posture and wonderful "ohhhh" said more than words could. Imagine me doing similar gestures and cooing now, as I am, while looking at your photographs. You've inspired me. Again.

9:38 AM  
Blogger ttractor said...

I wish I could say thank you the way I feel it right now, by looking into your face with gratitude. I know I owe you an email about next week...I'm gettin there...

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home