jolie laide: Henry Street, LES 6/6/06

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

6.07.2006

Henry Street, LES 6/6/06



I am really happy about this shot, so I thought I would post it even though I have nothing to say. Then I realized I do have some, uh, well, interesting news and engendered by snaps like this one. I got asked to shoot an East Village dive bar's rather famously nasty and grafittied bathrooms--a sort of portraiture as it were--for display at said bar.

Apparently my work was thought of while the bathrooms were getting their demi-annual hosing down. Well, it's nice to know my aesthetic is so closely aligned with human waste. I'll try to live up to the challenge. Stay tuned for more!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I do say I aspire (and fail utterly) to your edgy angular aesthetic - with my casio

I'm inspired by these images - their textures move me viscerally

a public bathroom is interesting territory - it's a platform of a unique kind of physicalpoetic speech addressed and attuned to the body at its most basic and intimate

9:19 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

thanks rm, that is meaningful to me.

I go see the bathrooms tomorrow night! I am rather geeked about it. And a little nervous. Up to this point I shoot what I see with a few parameters. This is a bunch more limitations, and I worry nothing will coalesce. Well, we'll see...

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home