jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

6.28.2006


Summer is road construction season and all over the city streets are being gouged into ragged trenches by day. At night the holes are covered by huge steel plates so traffic can resume and the plates have burned onto their surfaces their company name, cauterized by arc welding into wormy ropy letters.

Near my house the plates say "Amor Co." of which I like the idea, a company whose business is producing love, as though that were even possible and I am amused at how far steel plates are from even being a start to that endeavor. At sunset the fading sun picks the letters out brilliantly and they glow silver against the tarred filthy surface and I would like to take a picture but that would mean standing in the middle of Fulton Street at the tail end of rush hour, squatting, standing, stretching, working the angles for the shot and that is probably not going to happen.

Near my gym the plates say simply "Halcyon" and I love this, of course, and wish for the strength to pick the plates up and find underneath exactly what the promise is, as I do read that as a promise if not iron-clad, then steel-clad for sure. I did try to shoot this, craning through an overcast day for the light to materialize the image, traffic burping past my legs, gravel splatter, but finally failure.

4 Comments:

Blogger ttractor said...

I am thinking the world would be a better place if that maxim were followed. I am not likely to be a perpetrator any time soon, however.

My mantra these days is more like "Just Run More, Pussy!"

5:13 PM  
Blogger slickaphonic said...

years ago when i had grand delusions of running a marathon, I created a mix tape with lots of up-tempo songss. In one of the better strokes of *luck*, "All the Way" by Rusted Root came just at the end of my six mile mark.

Now this served two great functions: 1) it provided a great inspirational song just at hte right time and
2) it always worked to distract me from the pains in my ljungs and muscles as I began to marvel at such great luck in programming that song there.

6:08 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

oh! you have to give me your run mix! So much of the music I have been listening and running to is tainted with the spume of recent emotional wreckage. Even though I am getting new music in an attempt to move through all that I am not finding good stuff fast enough.

9:52 AM  
Blogger slickaphonic said...

oh, yikes, I don't think you want that mix tape. made circa 1996, it included Janis Joplin, Grateful Dead, etc.

But, good exercise music: Gypsy Kings have a lot of up-tempo stuffs, Rusted Root really is pretty awesome for running, Santana, Afro-Cuban All-Stars, Las Estrellitas (the 1970s recording of all the people on Buena Vista), Propellerheads, Bjork, Pizzicato Five, etc, etc. I've been biking to West African funk lately, and that has worked well for me; send me an email if you'd like me to zip my playlist for you.

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home