jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

8.13.2006

This weekend was the goodbye party for the little house, organized by former tenants and the current tenant who will stay on after the sale is finalized next week. And it is fitting that they did so, and I am so glad they did. The little house never had a party and this one celebrated it and gave it its passage from renovation project to rental by the young spirited college students to its final place as home to a beautiful young family who love it dearly already.

So there was crunking in the dining room, and shots downed in the living room. There was hanging out on the stoop and god knows what up on the roof after I left at 2AM. The tiny back garden was never over full, even with so many people talking, smoking, grilling. I sat on the back wall and looked at the moon through the wands of the fleece vine, like I had so many times previously, marvelling at how different now.

4 Comments:

Blogger famjaztique said...

bloody fantastic!

2:04 AM  
Blogger ttractor said...

it was! it was a great old school drankin, eatin, dancin get-down like I have not gone to in a million years. and holy moses did I personally need that!

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep - great party. Such a lovely swirl of silly humanity! Sorry I got so drunk, though.... being the host and all...

1:36 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

Host, you were charming as ever, and certainly less drunk than many. The house deserved to be lit up like that, and I am so grateful. And you still have my big fruit salad bowl!

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home