jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

9.17.2006


I noticed this new sign tacked to a city signpost on primary election day. I would like to believe it is for the Butterfly Party. Or perhaps butterfly parking. Of which I have seen neither, but either would be appreciated, by me, at least.

6 Comments:

Blogger GMD said...

Maybe you have a butterfly park.

10:08 AM  
Blogger ttractor said...

oh! brilliant!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Thomas Knauer said...

Thank goodness for butterflies.

If you ever get the chance, I recommend spending 24 hours in Niagara Falls: 21 hours to mire in the awful kitsch and pitiful misery of the human fabrications surrounding the Falls and then three hours to disappear into the butterflies at the Butterfly Conservatory. It is a remarkably head clearing experience to make that transition and to be surrounded by and swarmed within what seems to be several thousand butterflies.

7:34 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

oh that sounds delightful! Is it butterfly season in spring? What a great reason for a road trip!

8:09 PM  
Blogger slickaphonic said...

I have to say, we have the monarch migration here every year here and it freaks me the f&*% out. all those butterflies everywhere and no escape... Feels like a swarm of locusts is surely on the horizon (oh, and when the ocean turns red with plankton?!?)

Maybe I was fed a little too much bible as a kid.

sigh.

8:43 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

see, all I get here is one or two monarchs, just starting their drift down to you. I suppose it would be a bit disconcerting if there were humming swarms of them. But when I see them I am gripped with delight, and awe, and trepidation for them and their journey. And now doubly so if I know you are fixin to swat em!

I think this sign has pictures of swallowtails on it, though. I am not real up on my butterfly species. I am a lousy tree ID'er too.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home