jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

9.22.2006



What do you really want to create with this life? is what the wall in the subway says to me today. I am going to fall in love with the author if they don't stop it, don't stop puncturing my day perfectly, making me reel backwards, snap my head around, stop for a moment, blinking, thinking. Someone I don't know, can't imagine, is throwing themselves against a wall to see if they stick and now I am looking through the sun beaming through my window, prisming through my eyelashes, at a spot where feathers are stuck to the glass from a sparrow earlier today careening, careless, but uninjured.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

the idea of a life as a creative work has always appealed to me

like you I'm occasionally shocked by such revelatory interstices - shocked at the distance between what I want to say with my life, and what I am actually saying

I love the incantatory violence of these words of yours

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home