jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

1.19.2007


Today I am drinking milky sweet tea and standing in a square of winter sun. I am watching a pair of mourning doves puffed into the cold and balanced on the fire escape. I am trying to sew words to a man, serge them with a smell, pin them to a dark turning of a pair of spoons in the kitchen drawer.

It is time to go to work, to do one of the things that makes me who I am. But first, just a little more time in the light, here, it is so brilliant.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. S said...

Milky sweet tea, hooray.

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home