jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

4.06.2007

It's been long enough since I have left this city for any length of time. Four years ago I went to Vermont to go fly fishing. Along the way I made sure to satisfy my curiousity about Thaddeus Kosciusko, brave son of Poland and Revolutionary War hero, which status he won for feats of engineering, and necessitated visting battle sites all the way up the Hudson River valley.

Now I am going to the desert. Literally. If it leaves me with stories worth telling, you'll hear them in a week.

4 Comments:

Blogger slickaphonic said...

Enjoy the vacation, m'dear.

6:43 PM  
Blogger The London Lifer said...

Jeez - 4 years! You should get out more. I love NY but 4 years without a break there . . . it's like open prison.

Perhaps you are some sort of Kurt Russell afficianado?

Anyway, hope you enjoyed your holiday!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

I am excited that it's time for you to be home and to show us desert pictures!

1:04 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

Lifer, I have rolled those words around quite a bit. Yes, NY is an open jail, in more ways to more people than they know. Maybe me too.

Dr S! Happy birthday! But no pictures...sorry...

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home