jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

6.03.2007

My best friend in kindergarten was a little boy whose name I don't remember. At snack time we got cookies, the kind shaped like a flower, with a hole in the center. We would put them on our fingers, bite off the petals, and pretend they were wedding rings.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dr. S said...

In kindergarten, I was invited to a birthday party at Rollerworks, the roller rink. I was the only girl invited. I would have to ask my mom what the boy's name was--I think it was Vincent--but that was when I learned about crushes. I went to the party. I had never rollerskated before.

10:16 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

oh god, I can see that, with your litle knobby knees and your fierce concentration. awesome.

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right, ttractor, it's a great image of fierce and innocent young Dr. S. But I also love the way your imagination just brought it completely to life. That's why I keep reading.

8:21 AM  
Blogger ttractor said...

You just made my heart get bigger. Thank you!

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home