jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

12.10.2008

I am driving an ungainly large car through suburban streets made strange by winter's early nightfall. I am looking for a floppy boy with dark hair. It is a small comfort that I am passing any number of them, just none the one I need to find right now, the one who has again gotten bored, or frustrated, or impatient, and caused himself to disappear. Back at home the smell of simmering green peppers and anger has made me lose my appetite. The heat comes on, and I start to sneeze. My eyes well up and I go to bed early listening to the local stumbling public radio station. If there has been an accord made in the house, I will not learn of it until morning.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, that sounds familiar. Wanna drop me a line?

3:05 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

I was wondering if this would strike a chord with you. It was just a myopic adolescent thing. I think we are in good shape, but we are also just at the beginning. I hope all is well with you, and 2009 brings you relief.

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, there's two of you, and that helps a lot. As long as you can stay in the same camp anyway.

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home