jolie laide: 100 Words on Love: Brooklyn

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

2.11.2006

100 Words on Love: Brooklyn

Walking uptown tonight next to some fashion jackal fussing with her cell phone. She is attempting to camouflage 40 and hard living with processed hair, cheek implants, inflated lips. She gives me an appraising glare, I don’t know why she bothers. We are not even the same species.

On the subway platform Princess is fuming with the indignity of taking the train to the airport. She huffs her enormous overnighter on the bench beside me and perches atop it in the gold medal position of superiority while I languish below, merely bronze.

Hurry C train and take me to Brooklyn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home