jolie laide: 100 words on Love: Romance

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

2.11.2006

100 words on Love: Romance

I told him I would meet him for a kiss. His choice, an overgrown churchyard ringed by an elaborate wrought iron fence. It was a sticky city summer and the small passing rainstorm was a relief, and kept us pinned below the canopy of a huge old tree. He had eaten strawberries and his kiss was warm, fragrant and lit up with the sweetness. It made me want to press in tighter, grip the rough peeling bars of the fence and pull him into, through me. And then he slipped away. I have never seen him again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home