jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

2.13.2006

You see: the couple across the aisle from us, sitting together and reading companionably as the train sways them home at the end of the day.

I see: the man hunched forward, elbows on knees, using the bulk of his body, his shoulders padded larger by his overcoat, to block even a peripheral view of her. When he wants something different to read, he holds his hand out, arm stiff, wordless, and wordless she complies. I see: her apply lip gloss vigorously, with jerky hostile movements, staring straight ahead. Untangle the cords of her ipod with sharp elbows jostling just this side of impeachably passive-aggressive.

I like your version better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home