jolie laide: 100 Words: Regret

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

3.02.2006

100 Words: Regret

I sued for custody. And I lost. We lost. I took you away too soon, before the legal case was iron-clad, to catch you before you were broken. I regret I did not let her beat you more, threaten to kill you again, starve you. I regret I did not let him possess more of you with his hands, call you over again to see what was in the dark nest of his lap. I regret I did not let you run away again, your luck in truckstops off the highway better than one more night with them. I regret.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home