jolie laide: Cheap and Immobile

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

3.24.2006

Cheap and Immobile







Someone once asked Georgia O'Keeffe why she painted so many flowers. She said that they were cheaper than live models, and that they didn't move.

I want to be drawing more, a little every day, so I am reminded of this. After class, walking up Lexington Avenue, I think about drawing flowers. Tulips, yes, because they change every day. From the first day, fresh and straight, to a graceful elegant relaxing, to a revelatory dropping of petals. I am wrapped up in this vision, cold air snapping around me, walking fast in my excitement and I wind up at the subway station with empty hands.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr. S said...

And their colors have such delicately veinous texture.

12:37 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

god, they had parrot tulips. I was practically whining and scratching at myself.

I went to Dean & Deluca. It was so perfect, as I walk in there is a marvelous swell of operatic aria, and there are all the fruits and vegetables, lit, staged, gleaming.

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home