jolie laide: XXL

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

3.20.2006

XXL

It's a big sale and the store is more than a bit of a madhouse.

“Do you have it in another size larger? Say, an XXL?” Hollers the boyfriend of one woman.

“Tsk! Imagine the insensitivity!” Cluck the saleswomen, after he has gone.

But I heard the whole thing. He asked her to come out of the dressing room to show him what she was trying on. He said that the color looked great on her. He told her that she looked beautiful. He was engaged, involved. I hope she doesn’t give a flying crap if the whole store knows what size she is, because she has a lover who wants to dress her, make her lovely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home