jolie laide: Commuting 3-21

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

3.21.2006

Commuting 3-21

A long subway ride this morning, but no one is telling me their story.

The balding guy who can’t be a native by the full-masted way he reads his Times.

The guy with a terrible toupee who is a native, by the polite vertical quartered way he is reading his.

The girl with the Playboy bunny-printed tote bag reading a glossy rag and I can only see an ad for “The Simple Life” on DVD.

The girl with the fetchingly torn jeans exposing a knee but I look at her face and she hasn’t been a girl in quite some time.

I get out at mid-town.

2 Comments:

Blogger slickaphonic said...

Really? You use a camera phone to capture these? These really are amazing.

Thank you.

2:08 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

mmmm, yeah, nearly all, except the couple that I took in Kansas where someone lent me an actual digital camera for the trip.

hey, thanks!

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home