jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

10.29.2006

My sailing friend posts whenever he gets near land. This is the most recent, from the coast of Mallorca, on the lip of a momentous crossing of the Atlantic Ocean. I thought it so beautiful, simple, evocative:

The boat was covered with the dust of the Magreb this morning - the seagull’s singing the prayer call - I will continue to fish

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have always dreamed of building and sailing boats - against the backdrop of the vertical beauty of Alaska

... where I did my tour in the Coast Guard

O for heaven sakes I can't be bitter for very long - it's agaisnt my joyous nature

and you bring joy to my life - in your way

10:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

you don't have to love me. my love is boundless like the universe - or ever expanding

... on this sleepless night

4:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

sometimes I feel like I'm the only living boy in new york

switched on

8:39 AM  
Blogger ttractor said...

the dust comes in the night but in the morning is singing and the chance to continue. I think that's why I liked my friend's lines so much.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

a morning song - and a chance to continue

that is all that anybody needs

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home