jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

12.18.2006


On Thursday night I tried my gear on. I was concerned mostly about warmth, and of course fit and style. 18 layers of everything go on, and I decide the only real way to know if it is warm enough, is to, well, go outside. So I walked to the liquor store, and it was hard not to grin my ass off, and when they asked me what I wanted, I played it straight and got a liter of gin. They held the door for me on the way out.

(This does not look so odd when there are 500 of you. When there is one, at night, waiting for the light on the corner of Washington and Atlantic...)

4 Comments:

Blogger slickaphonic said...

you're still in NYC, and it is the right month...

now do this in july, preferrably in a small midwestern town, and i'll grant you balls that clank.

10:35 AM  
Blogger ttractor said...

You mean I get NO credit for riding a bicycle in a dog suit in Oklahoma in August? (this was down the street from Oral Robert University. I think if I had been dressed as an angel that would have been, uh, normal. Sorta.)

After the liquor store I did then go to my local grocery store, the one right around the corner from my house, where they know me, and buy tomato juice. Oh, the grocery store? Owned and operated by Muslims.

Please, Cojones Fairy, may I have a pair? Or do I have to arm wrestle your hairy ass for them?

11:09 AM  
Blogger slickaphonic said...

definitely arm wrestle.

12:20 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

You're on!

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home