jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

2.05.2007

My Goodness
Standing in the dining room of the settlement house, tea steaming from a paper cup in my hands, watching the brilliant light cheer the walls.
I passed that ancient man again on the sidewalk, the one with the enormous dramatic upswept eyebrows.
My friends inviting me to go out more than I possibly ever could, and them being smart and thoughtful and generally awesome.
The ticket to Burning Man that is on its way to me, and the faith I have that made me order two, faith that the arc of my emotional ambition will catch up with me by the end of this summer.
This music that makes me stride, feel the strength in my legs, smile into the chill morning, head out to do what it is that I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home