jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

6.06.2007

Today was a day to grin nearly to split my face in two. At the old guy on the corner who good-mornings me, he's made it through another season and celebrates by sweeping in front of the bodega across from the park. At the fat guy coming up from the pj's, oversizing a shiny chrome bike with his equally wide buddy riding on the handle bars, wobbling down Montgomery and squinting into the sun. At the roses blooming furiously feminine and littering the lawn with spent efforts, signaling high spring, yes, here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home