jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

8.24.2007

I get home late, and no milk for tomorrow’s coffee sends me to the corner store to provision up. Something has just happened. There are guys pacing around, an undissipated energy, like the dust devils of cigarette butts that sometimes dance in the gutter. I push through them, I’m on a mission. But I can’t help but hear the conversation:

“ I think he was approaching me in a respectful manner. I do.”
“Man, he had a baseball bat! I don’t know, I think that’s kind of physical.”

I can’t help but grin at them. I’m going to miss this like crazy. I'm going to Burning Man and returning after Labor Day. I hope everyone has a wonderful end of summer.

3 Comments:

Blogger slickaphonic said...

I'm going to miss it, too...

but i take it that means 'the baby done been birthed'?

4:10 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

I'm not quite gone yet...but I will be soon enough...

4:21 PM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

I've been curious about Burning Man for quite awhile now... have a terrific time! And when you return, I will have left (though I won't have left this).

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home