jolie laide: 805 Michaels

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

10.15.2007

805 Michaels

I’m back. I know I am back because they start road work at 7 am, enormous mechanical teeth tearing through Fulton Street, making my building, my bed, the skin between my hipbones vibrate. I know I am back because I am stepping over a smoldering cigarette butt rolling on the begummed sidewalk, inching down the subway platform from a man who, if he ever was adequately medicated, surely is not right now.

In my email box at work, there are things of greater and lesser importance. Deadlines are being changed, a new policy for housing homeless families, new zoning for providing services to the elderly. The New York City Department of Health wants me to know that in the most recent year with complete data, 805 Michaels were born.

They have not turned the heat on in my office yet, fall weather is corkscrewing its way in, going down and doubling back over and over, so I go for a walk at lunchtime to warm up. There is a long line at the bank and thin music scratching to cover that fact and I keep thinking about 805 Michaels and this city and its too-little, too-much, prickle-backed elbow-wrestling can have its 805 Michaels if I can stand near my one, even if it means I have to go all the way across the country to do it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr. S said...

Huzzah!!! Huzzah. Huzzah for joy.

I would give you some of my college's heat, if that's the way the world worked. We've had the heating on since about a week after I arrived here, and none of us wants to say anything, lest it get turned down permanently. So we crack windows open, sleep in tank tops, go barefoot even when it's in the 50s outside.

Huzzah for love. Mazel tov, you.

5:03 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

oh gosh, I thought I said thank you, but perhaps instead I was tongue-tied by the fact I am even admitting this publically. I am a little shy about this, and not in the least part is that I grasp for joy sometimes in ways that are unseemly, unwieldy, threaten to tip the canoe, and I surely don't want to get anyone wet.

(oh man, they are cooking something rich with garlic in the Settlement's kitchen downstairs. mmmm...I am sidetracked....)

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home