jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

9.24.2007

Only incremental change is sustainable, I am fond of saying.

I know in this city that kindness is all too often misconstrued as weakness, and still, I could be kinder.

So, I asked my laundry guy what his name is, finally, after how long? And I remember it. Kirk.

I am allowing quiet in my apartment in the evenings, just the rustling turn of the page, the hum of the refrigerator.

Even though this day, cool air, warm sun, feels like it will never end, soak it up on the top step of the stoop, even after the pigeons improve their aim.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home