jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

11.01.2007

My teeth are going to start hurting soon from smiling so much. There is a conga line of congratulations going out my office door. Today, I can finally make the official announcement: I have been awarded a sabbatical from my job. The reason for asking for this is very specific. I am spending three months in California, trying to find out if two people who are equally made of teeth and spine and guts and eyeballs and big thinky brains can stand to get closer than three time zones. Can, in fact, do more than that. Can make boats out of flowers, invent new landscapes, chart invisible rivers, and things I can't even imagine to begin to know. I am not so foolish as to not be frightened, but it is the kind of thrilling fear I think you would feel, about to step out of an airplane at 13,000 feet, and knowing your parachute is well packed.

6 Comments:

Blogger slickaphonic said...

well now i'm showing teeth for you...congratulations, you big thinky brain!

8:51 PM  
Blogger EMC said...

Congratulations!

Go get 'em tiger!

11:53 PM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

Oh, dude! As someone who is also on an awarded sabbatical and who packed it in and left home to try and find bigger and better things, I say: mazel tov. And good luck. And hooray. And hooray!!! Oh! Oh!

11:22 AM  
Blogger ttractor said...

Thank you! I am so thrilled, and so surprisingly relieved at finally being able to spill it!

4:40 PM  
Blogger VV said...

Ah. The relief of spilling the beans. If it turns out you can build a boat out of flowers, send one down the river for me.

11:25 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

If I figure it out I am sending a mssive one to come pick you up!

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home