jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

6.07.2009

I have been thinking about how much I love the sound of the local woodpecker, working his way through the telephone pole up the hill.

I have been thinking about how hard this winter will be, waking up before dawn and without the spread of light from across the bay.

I have been thinking about one local idea of glamour, high heels with jeans and French manicures, like hooker-housewives from the 80's.

I have been thinking about my volunteer crew, how eagerly they tore in to their new case files, and how many of them left our last meeting with wet eyes.

I have been thinking about all the remains of past life, all the dormant art curled up in shreds of paper, as I edit down for the move to our next home.

I think a lot. I just don't write.

4 Comments:

Blogger tortaluga said...

no one is writing much anymore.

12:49 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

Everyone else is on Facebook. I just don't have the subway commute and home life set up to make art. When I think of how dim my life was before I started trying to make art every day, I know I can't go back to that. But I'm not sure of the way forward, either.

You left a wonderful book of poetry at my house once. Thank you.

12:55 PM  
Blogger slickaphonic said...

i don't either. but i'm glad we're both still THINKING art. that has to count for something.

7:36 AM  
Blogger EastWesterner said...

And just a few weeks ago, here I was creating again for the first time in four years.

M E R C Y !

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home