jolie laide: 100 Words on Beauty

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

2.15.2006

100 Words on Beauty

The fields of my childhood brought the fierce wild grace of primroses and thistles, protecting their tenderness with a ring of thorns. Mulberries and honeysuckle that burst purple sweet in your mouth. Shooting stars with silky recumbent petals, arched and hanging as if caught plummeting to earth.

Stand at the top of the hill and watch the whole field turn green to silver as the wind bends all the leaves one way. Or the shadow from one singular cloud racing over the ground to swallow you up one second, then release you back to nothing but a high blue sky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home