jolie laide: Home: Nostalgic

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

3.19.2006

Home: Nostalgic

Where you can sit on the deep front porch and watch the sprinkler rainbow into the thirsty air.

Cut the perfect sugar of a sweet potato pie with the perfect sour of a cheap beer.

See the whole world turn green and vibrate with a coming tornado.

Drive to the highest point and watch the transformers blow out under the weight of the annual ice storm—goodnight Owasso, Sapulpa, Turley, Coweta.

The place where the wide blue sky seemed to seal you in, the gentle hills blocked any long view, the round eye of the sun burned pale and blank.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A toronado hit around here a couple of days ago, and while I was sitting on the stoop of my video drinking cider and trying to capture the eeriness on film, I thought of you for a moment and wished that you were sitting on the stoop with me, staring out over the bruise colored horizon, watching for wall clouds and ever elusive funnels.

1:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot believe I sent it through spelled toronado. Tornado. Dear lord.

1:37 AM  
Blogger ttractor said...

you are forgiven! I really do miss the extreme weather. you know, it does not rain like that here? so hard it hurts, you will get soaked no matter what you are wearing, and the streets fill up past your ankles?

I saw forsythia buds last week, we are so slow to green up.

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home