jolie laide: Commuting 4/20

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

4.20.2006

Commuting 4/20



I love the girls who are wrens. The girl equivalent of dusty, small, brown, they are not the ones you notice, not screaming for your attention. Their hair is messily swept back, there are three pens sticking out of their purse, they are earnestly clutching some reading material. Their feet turn in, there is ink on their hands, their knees are bony.

I am watching a little wren on the train this morning, she is wearing my favorite wren girl combination of blue and brown, a blue blouse with a brown nerd cardigan over it. No make up, a sloppy bun with bangs falling over her forehead, knobby fingered, and I feel my own kin.

9 Comments:

Blogger famjaztique said...

oh, I have a brown nerd cardigan...it's my favorite. The top button is broken.

Love your images, as always.

10:55 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

me too! I actually have loads of cardigans, the ultimate badge of girl-nerd. In all the great wren colors... grey. greyer. more grey. brown. less brown. brown again. black. washed out black.

I am considering a change, however.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

Ooo, what does it mean that my nerd cardigan is bright pink?

I also have the thread-baring grey polarfleece hooded zip-up sweatshirt, though, and that one got me through my dissertation in a big way. There were weeks when I just climbed out of bed and into a shirt and the hooded sweatshirt every single day.

12:31 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

hah! that means you're an extrovert!

I have a favorite hoodie, too. Brooklyn Dodgers logo, a sweatshirt that I cut the front open (to make it a cardigan, of course!). I wore it constantly when I was renovating the Little House and now the cuffs are frayed nearly to lace and it is blotched with wierd stains and paint spatters and I will not give it up. Sometimes I wear it in bed, sitting up reading at night, like a bed jacket...gosh I am sexy.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

Well, you never know. When I first got that grey sweatshirt, I was dating someone who thought it was the most sexy thing ever. He loved it when I wore that sweatshirt. It was the funniest thing: polarfleece as the anti-negligee.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

And why do I feel funny about being labeled an extrovert? Maybe because my introvert-pull is so strong and leads to so much of what I do that's creative and heartfelt. Also because I feel as though I'm getting left out of a cool club of people who know how to be by themselves and don't need to chatter all the time. I also love to be by myself and don't (really) need to chatter all the time, though the amount that I write in comments belies that claim.

3:11 PM  
Blogger famjaztique said...

Are we an official club yet?

1:41 AM  
Blogger ttractor said...

nerd girl club? too-smart-and-humane-for-Nerve club?

11:05 AM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

I like Nerd Girl Club. I am Nerd Girl Club, whether or not we have one among us. (I actually have a group of women here who consider themselves my fan club--they have told me this. It's endlessly, infinitely gratifying, because they're terrific.)

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home