jolie laide: Commuting Together

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

4.03.2006

Commuting Together



I like to watch couples who commute together in the morning. I am, perhaps, overly romantic about this, never having had my life synchronize with another's in this way. But the idea of having those extra moments, having someone to quite literally watch your back, to hold you in the hustle and sway of the train, it seems so delightfully sweet and desirable.

So, of course I notice them, sitting close, whispering. They are drawn into each other, their dark heads pressed together. She gets up at her stop and moves to the door and he does not look up. As the train pulls into the station she calls to him and he does not look up. She says goodbye, loudly, as the doors slide open. The doors close and he still does not look up, and I can see now, his eyes and hands focused on the Playstation in his lap.

(this photo for my bloggie friend who likes her words well-balanced)

7 Comments:

Blogger Dr. S said...

Oh, thank you for the picture. There was a redemption center in Ithaca, as well. It was a rundown former gas station where you could drive up and leave off your cans and other recyclables, but I also liked to imagine that you could go there for less material reasons.

I'm watching birds dart straight up to and drop straight down from the sunny roof outside my office. Somehow, this has made me decide that tonight's a good night to have pizza for dinner.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

By the way, I didn't mean to presume that this picture was for me--I was just thanking you for it, in general. Twelve hours later, my comment has come back to haunt me, which is what sitting up late writing will do to me every time.

4:26 AM  
Blogger ttractor said...

of course this one was for you!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

:)

I am on my way to a city (a real city! a capital city! a *world* capital city, as one of my friends keeps reminding me!) for a long weekend, in a matter of hours, and I am eager to get many urban and urbanish pictures. The batteries are charged; the camera cable is packed.

12:27 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

have a great time! you are going to Ottawa? is there grit there?

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lived in Ottawa for two years. Not very gritty.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

It doesn't look very gritty in the pictures, anyway. Because I've been so hurried and harried in my last-minute preparation, I barely know anything about where I'm going, but last night as I worked on my paper I started checking out places I want to visit: the canal, the national gallery, a four-story bookstore that's apparently near my hotel. What's nice is that my presentation is quite early (i.e., tomorrow) and thus I'll have a few days of relative calm within which to do some wandering and paper-hearing (and grading, and reading for class, but hey).

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home