jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

11.07.2007

I won't be teaching my class in strategic budgeting this winter. I'm handing it off to a friend, instead. I'm looking over the materials to send him, looking for a document on the time value of money. Time value of money. Which in itself is an interesting collection of words. Putting documents alphabetical order to help my search, I come across the follwoing list, which right now, I am liking rather a bit.

The answer
The camera
The final few weeks
The girl steps onto the train
The intersection of yearning and receiving is mapped to my shoulder blade
The name of your jesus
The place I drop off my laundry has been closed and locked tight
The toothbrush
The train station I exit to get to work is a deep one
The upswell of people boiling out of my subway station
The woman gets on the train and sits directly in front of me
The pancake hours

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr. S said...

I think that I remember a lot of these!

But they bring up a point: where has your camera gone?

4:21 AM  
Blogger ttractor said...

You have a prodigious memory! The cel phone cam stopped transmitting pictures for a while. It is working again now, but these days I find myself in such a rush that I note things and don't really have the time to stop for them. Plus, with no internet access at home (still!) I don't have much time for downloading.

I am thinking that maybe come January when I am *here* in SF I will want to shoot. Things here are so different! Poverty looks so different. Homelessness looks so different. On Friday I visited what may be my new sabbatical work neighborhood. Oh my!

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home