jolie laide: From early January 2008

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

3.31.2008

From early January 2008

It's my first day. The offices are right on the edge of the Tenderloin. I park the car, walk down a block and turn the corner onto Market Street.

Even the poverty here is beautiful. The light is bright, but clear, not harsh, making everyone look like they are stepping into a Vanity Fair cover photo shoot. At 9am the subjects are the dejected--those staying in overnight shelters that require vacancy at 8am; those coming off an all night binge; those out trawling for a first necessary fix for the day.

I don't know yet who, if any, will become a part of my life or landscape over the next three months.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! Does this mean you are "back"? How I've missed you.

11:08 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

Thank you sweet baby. Oh how I am trying to be back. Good holy moses there is so much going on I can hardly think straight! And those people who just blink out or fade away into the ether kind of freak me out, and I don't want to be one of those.

1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right. You don't want to be one of those. It's a digital form of suicide and you leave so many behind just wondering.

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home