jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

12.27.2007

He gets on the train first, stands in front of an empty seat to hold it for her. When she sits and looks up at him, he pinches her cheek. He's getting off at the next stop, but she is riding further down the line. He kisses her good-bye, once, twice, a third time. I can see her face over his shoulder, the eyes wide and unblinking, then narrowing in annoyance by the final kiss. By the time he's moved to the exit door, she is already staring off, head forward, not following his movement, his leave-taking. I see his hand on the door and look for it. There is the ring, and one on her hand too. It's too late.

3 Comments:

Blogger slickaphonic said...

ouch.

3:01 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

Sometimes you just want to hold a mirror up to people's behavior. (although I cringe to think what this would show me) It was sorta unbelievably obvious. I'm not sure who I wanted to smack more--him for being overbearing or her for being sulkily resentful. either way, too late. (how the hell are you? I hope you are too blissfully blissful to be engaged with the 2D likes of me)

4:00 PM  
Blogger slickaphonic said...

hmm, i'm not sure how i am. i swing between blissful and aching. depends on which mirror i'm looking into...

WHERE are you? i can't tell if you're with Cute Genius Boyfriend on my coast or that other one...either way, happy kwanza and a swell new dozen o' months.

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home