jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

3.10.2008

It's a Sunday morning drive to another exurb to do some achingly American normal class thing and I would be irritated and sarcastic if it wasn't all so innocent. It's spring here, and the sere hills are green finally and wild mustard is blooming its riot and I am starting to cry because it is hitting me in full force now, that this will be mine, going forward. This will be what I know. This is not a bad thing, it is its own beauty, its own sweetness, but oh how different.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wondering how a New York flower will find nurturing soil in a foreign land. Do keep us posted as to your overall well-being. What a different adventure you are on now. Hard to remain angsty and poetic when your wishes are granted. Maybe that's why I keep throwing mine out the window?

2:08 AM  
Blogger slickaphonic said...

I keep not knowing what to say. But I just want to say congratulations.

Also, Velverb, I can't post comments on your site for some reason...keeps crashing my computer. but your project sounds amazing!

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home