jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

12.19.2007

I am waiting for the train at the Jay Street station and watching the man on the opposite platform. He is holding onto the steel upright like a man holding onto a ship's mast during a storm. He is listing and bending, heaving under gale force. I wonder how long this can go on, how long he can withstand whatever hurricane he is experiencing. When he tilts his head downward and vomits onto the tracks I am not at all surprised by the fact, just the timing.

(and now that my handsome genius of a boyfriend has gotten me an awesome hummy glow box of a Christmas present, I can add Velvet Verbosity to my "Who I'm Reading" list. Huzzah!)

3 Comments:

Blogger Dr. S said...

Hooray for handsome geniuses!

6:45 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

He's really more like a painfully cute genius, but at 44 that just doesn't seem very dignified. And hooray for you and your impending visitors!

8:15 AM  
Blogger Obamafolk said...

Darn it Dr. S, you took the words right outa my mouth. Not fair.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home