jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

8.27.2008

This book is not doing it for me. Written 10 years after the last set of bank failures and housing slumps and 10 years before this round of same, I thought it might be either amusingly prescient or hilariously pious. Look, if this art history major knows where you, world macro economics guy, are going 15 pages before you get there, it's just a sad day. Or I'm a genius. OK, which I am, but I expect you to be geniuser.

I surely am putting all my mighty brain power to good use. Today, I was overwhelmingly frustrated at the princess parking brigade at the grocery store. I called someone a bitch out loud in the parking lot, not that she could hear me, hermetically sealed in her SUV. There were two parking spaces available but she had to wait for the one that would make sure she and her slumping spawn would be 8 feet closer to the store. One of the other Mercedes princesses got so upset at the hold up she actually honked her car horn. Same scene again at the donation bay at the Goodwill. I cannot figure out how these women get to be about the size, shape and flavor of a tongue depressor. They are so insubstantial they disappear when they turn sideways. Really, how do 2 dimensional people even get a drivers license?

So I need a new book. I've had half of my evening drink and put a Zyrtec on top of that and I am fuzzy at the edges. Life after 40 is a festival of awesomeness. Woozing over to the bookcase I think I have my antidote "Thinking Insects." Oh, that looks interesting. Except it's one of the man's geek books "Thinking in Sets." I guess I'll just sit here and suck on my brain for a while.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That's nerd to you, woman. We nerds like set theory and thinking insects. Geeks are at the dime-toss, trying to win them some Harley-Davidson day-core.

12:23 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

I am so not about to admit publicly that I am in love with a nerd. You can get that kind of validation from your JAVA shopkeepers, errand boy. I'm not paying that grocery bill!

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home