jolie laide: San Francisco, CA

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

7.21.2008

San Francisco, CA

The public radio station here is not so good. There is the announcer with the right stentorian voice, but his ad-libbing is awful. The one with an interesting voice and nice personality who cannot read the news without copious flubs. And it will take some time before I get used to traffic reports done in hushed, serious NPR tones. Especially when traffic issues in Tinytown tend to be appropriately tiny--slowdowns caused by debris in the road, and I imagine all these we're-all-free-and-western drivers barreling around with unsecured loads in their pickups. I particularly like that the station will tell you what it is--traffic is slowing down near Vallejo due to plastic buckets in the road. Or lawn chairs. Or cabbages. Today it is stuffed monkeys.

2 Comments:

Blogger EastWesterner said...

Long ago, I commented on your Coney Island post-- the hot dog pic. I see it never showed up. When they changed over to google, things were screwy for a bit, so this time I logged in first. I think this will work.

Hello, Ms.Magnificent! We sure have got some catching up to do.

3:01 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

Hey you! Sorry your comment got et. For sure we have some catching up to do, hoo-whee!

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home